Every farmer who rears piglets has faced animal slaughter on several occasions. For some, this process is simple and straightforward. However, many budding farmers face challenges. Most often, people refuse to physically slaughter and use special paralyzers for pigs.
Is it possible to kill a pig with an electric shock
Many farmers use stun guns during slaughter for fear of injury. Traditional slaughter should be carried out by men with good physical strength who can keep the mumps in place. In this case, several men kill the pig at once, and not one person. If the farmer is slaughtering for the first time, it is recommended to use a special electric shocker. It is worth noting that it is impossible to kill an animal with it. It is used to stun and immobilize the pig.
The use of such a device has several advantages and disadvantages. Among the advantages of a shocker, the following are distinguished:
- Using this method of slaughter, you do not have to seek help from strangers. One person will be enough to carry out the slaughter of a pig.
- Profitability. Electrocution is considered the most economical method of stunning.
- No additional inventory needed. The only thing you need to stun an animal is a paralyzer.
However, this method of stunning also has its drawbacks, which people may encounter when using an electric shocker incorrectly. These include:
- high probability of limb fracture;
- a decrease in the pH level in muscle tissues;
- damage to the surface of the skin;
- minor hemorrhages.
Types of stun guns
Before you start slaughtering piglets, you need to familiarize yourself with the types of stun guns that can be used to stun animals.
This model is often used when stunning animals, since it can be used to stun a pig from a distance. Such devices are equipped with a special shooting cartridge, with which it is possible to stun the animal at a distance. The firing range of different models of electric shockers is different. However, most of them allow you to hit the target at a distance of 5-6 meters. Some expensive stun guns have a range of 10-12 meters. The main disadvantage of distance shockers is that they are only suitable for single use.
Individuals looking for a reusable device should choose remote stun guns. They can be disabled, enabled, and reused as needed. The category of such products includes conventional stun guns, stun guns and models that have a knockout effect. These devices have considerable amperage and spark breaking. With their help, you can paralyze an adult wild boar for 20-25 minutes.
Some farmers use truncheon-shaped stun guns to slaughter piglets. It is recommended to use this model if you need to quickly stun several animals at once.
DIY transformer for stunning pigs
It is not necessary to buy a stun gun for stunning pigs, as you can make it yourself. To manufacture the product, you will need the following parts:
The principle of operation of a homemade shocker is quite simple. First, the capacitor transmits an electrical discharge to the transformer, after which an electrical impulse is generated. Making a shocker begins with creating a transformer. To do this, you need a B22 core, on the surface of which an enameled wire is wound. You can purchase this part at a store that specializes in the sale of electrical parts.
After winding, there should be five layers of winding on the core. It is recommended to lay electrical tape between them. Having finished with this, they begin to create an output transformer. You will need a polypropylene tube with a diameter of 20-25 millimeters. A piece with a length of 45 millimeters is cut from it, which will be used as a frame. Then, grooves with a depth of one and a half millimeters are made inside the pipe with a drill.
After that, a wire is wound around the tube, on the edge of which wires with several veins are soldered.
Having finished with the transformer, a wire one millimeter thick is wound around the ferrite core. Then it is isolated and inserted into the tube. This must be done very carefully so that the phases of the winding are not in different directions. After that, the transformer is placed in a box and filled with paraffin. The assembly of the stun gun should be carried out according to the following scheme.
Before you start slaughtering, you need to do the preparatory work. Experienced farmers advise against feeding the animals the day before the event. The daily fasting contributes to the complete emptying of the intestines and stomach of the animal. This will have a positive effect on the quality of fat and meat after the end of the procedure. A few hours before slaughter, the piglets are limited by the amount of water consumed or completely stopped giving it.
It is also necessary to prepare in advance the inventory that may be needed for the work. Among the necessary tools, the following are distinguished:
- Rope. May be needed if the pig has to tie the limbs.
- Electrocutioner. A tool with which the animal will be stunned.
- Sharpened knife or cleaver. With their help, the slaughter of stunned pigs will be carried out.
- Containers with warm water. Fluid may be needed to rinse the piglet's skin and entrails.
- Empty containers. They will be needed to place the blood of the animal and its entrails in them.
Before stunning a piglet with an electric shocker and then slaughtering it, you need to familiarize yourself with the features of this procedure. First, you need to stun the animal with an electric shock.
In this case, it is necessary to select the power of the stun gun so that the selected discharge is sufficient to stun the animal. Then you need to strike with a knife in the area of the heart or neck.
After the slaughter of the pig, it is necessary to start cutting the carcass. To do this right at home, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Hair removal. To get rid of hairs on the surface of the pig's skin, you need to use a torch or blowtorch. The procedure must be carried out very carefully so as not to accidentally damage the skin.
- Washing the skin. After removing the hairs, rinse the carcass with hot water to get rid of the traces of burning. If necessary, scrape off the remaining bristles from the skin.
- Trimming limbs. It is necessary to trim the hooves with a well-sharpened sharp knife.
- Removing the entrails. Before getting rid of them, the carcass is turned over on its back, the chest is carefully cut and the lungs, heart and esophagus are removed from it. To get the gallbladder and liver, you will have to make an incision along the entire peritoneum. When all the insides have been removed, the inner walls of the carcass are washed with warm water.
There are several mistakes that farmers make when slaughtering piglets:
- Abundant feeding before slaughter. This cannot be done, since due to food in the stomach during the process of slaughter, the animal may experience involuntary defecation.
- Wrong day chosen. Piglets should not be slaughtered on frosty days, as this makes it much more difficult to butcher meat.
- Sloppy cut. If you inadvertently cut the carcass, blood will enter the internal organs, due to which the quality of the meat will deteriorate.
Many farmers who are fond of raising piglets have to slaughter them. Before that, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the features of this procedure in order to do everything right.